skip to main content
Search Button

International Students

Ocean County College is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant students.

In addition to the general requirements for admission,  international students seeking admission to Ocean County College are required to submit additional documentation to secure an I-20: ‘Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Status’ through Ocean County College to apply for an F-1 Visa to study in the U.S. The International Student Packet & Instructions is available online for your use during this process.

students on computers outside

Before You Submit an Application

  1. Do not make travel arrangements or register for classes until your F1 visa has been approved.
  2. When receiving an F-1 visa, it is expected that your primary purpose for attending Ocean County College is to study. International Students are only eligible for on-campus employment, these positions are limited and reserved for students eligible for financial aid.
  3.  Ocean County College is a non-residential institution, we do not offer housing to our students and all students must reside in Ocean County.
  4. Wait-times for change of visa status are no longer being published by the government and students on a B1 or B2 visa cannot attend classes until change of visa status is approved.
  5.  We can only offer I-20s to full-time, degree seeking students. We cannot offer I-20s to prospective students looking to take English Language Learning courses.


We recommend you begin the application process at least 6 months before the start of the semester.  All students must adhere to the deadlines posted.

All documents must be submitted by:

  • Fall semester (September start): June 1st
  • Spring semester (January start): October 1st

International Student Admissions

  1. Apply to Ocean County College (十大靠谱棋牌登录官网)
    • If transferring: Submit transfer form to current school for SEVIS record transfer
  2. Submit required documents to Admissions Department (See: Admissions Requirements)
  3. Institution creates ‘Certificate of Eligibility’ (I-20) and provides to student
  4. Pay SEVIS I-901 fee
  5. Then apply to one of the following:
    • The local U.S. consulate or embassy for a visa
      • See the DOSWeb site for more information
    • If you are in the United States in another non-immigrant status, contact USCIS for a change of status to F-1 or M-1
      • File I-539 through USCIS
    • If you are a citizen of a visa exempt country (Canada, Bermuda, etc.), contact the U.S. POE directly

The documents outlined below must be submitted prior to issuance of the “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status” form, the I20.
*Requirements are subject to change. All documents are subject to approval.
**Final review of documents will be done by the international Designated School Official (DSO) by appointment. When the Admissions Office has received all the completed forms, the review will begin. If approved, the institution will mail the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) or make available for pick up on campus – indicating admission as a full-time degree student

  • Submission of a completed Application for Admissions
  • Photocopy of Passport
    • Pages including picture, signature, name and date of birth
  • Photocopy of Current Visa (if applicable)
  • Proof of International Address (from the student’s native country)
    • Acceptable documents include:
      • Passport
      • Statement of address
      • Document from outside source showing home address (state issued identification card, school transcripts, utility bill, etc.)
  • Proof of Intended Local Address
    • Since Ocean County College is a non-residential institution, which means we do not offer housing to students, the student must arrange for room, board and transportation. It is the responsibility of the student to arrange this prior to the start of classes
    • Please share local Ocean County US address intended for studies with school official. Acceptable documentation includes:
      • State issued identification card
      • Utility bill in student’s name
      • Copy of rental lease agreement
      • Letter from sponsor of room & board that the student lives with at a local address
      • Sponsor driver’s license required for confirmation of address
  • Proof of Cost of Attendance – $30, 860 (2018 rate – subject to change)
    • Documented funds for educational and living expenses must be shown in a bank account or among other readily convertible assets excluding real estate and other fixed assets. All funds must be translated to US Dollars by a bank or reputable source.
      • If funds are not student’s, a notarized affidavit of financial support must be submitted
      • This statement documents the assumption of financial responsibility for the international student during the period the individual intends to remain in the United States

Out-of Country Budget *(Full time, Full year based on 15 credits per semester)

Cost Budgeted Item
$8,430 Tuition and fees ($250.00 per credit)
$438  Supplies
$2,000 Miscellaneous
$3,360 Transportation
$22,860 Housing/living expenses
$37,088 Total cost of attendance

*The cost of tuition for an international student will be the same as that of an out of county student regardless of residency

  • Proof of English Proficiency
    • Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in English. An additional test of language skills will be required, this is the college’s Accuplacer
    • Acceptable documentation includes:
      1. Satisfactory TOEFL, SAT/ACT scores, etc.
        • TOEFL scores:
          • iBT – 61 (or higher)
          • Computer-based – 173 (or higher)
          • Paper-based – 500 (or higher)
      2. Two or more years of instruction at a high school or college where English is the primary language
          • Full-time status within the last five years in the U.S., United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or other English medium universities in Canada or South Africa.
      3. Previous completion of for-credit English coursework in the U.S for a year or more

For more information concerning the TOEFL exam and the location of the nearest testing center, contact them online. If you don’t have access to the web you can write or call the Educational Testing Service, P.O.Box 6151, Princeton NJ 08541, telephone number: 1.609.771.7714.

The same steps apply to students who are traveling to the US, already in the country or transferring in from other schools

  1. Check in with International Designated School Official (DSO) on campus upon arrival
  2. Take 十大靠谱棋牌登录官网’s Accuplacer to be placed into the appropriate math & English courses (unless you have qualifying exemption scores or previously passed a college level math or English course)
  3. Meet with an advisor to review their degree program and register for courses

Ocean County College abides by the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) regulations regarding the reporting of international students. While attending Ocean County College, you are responsible for maintaining your immigration status.

To maintain your status you must:

  • Register for, attend, and maintain enrollment in a full course of study (at least 12 Credits)
  • Consult with your DSO before dropping below a full course of study for any reason
  • Report name or address changes to DSO within 10 days of the change
  • Notify DSO prior to traveling outside the United States
  • Report any change in sources of financial support to DSO
  • Seek the approval of the DSO before engaging in employment* or practical training
    *Please note it is expected that your primary purpose for traveling to the US is to study. International students are only eligible to work on campus and on campus positions are limited and reserved for students eligible for financial aid
  • Report any changes in program of study to DSO
  • Report any change in academic status to DSO
  • Notify DSO upon applying for change of nonimmigrant status
  • Notify DSO upon approval of an adjustment of status to an immigrant
  • Consult with DSO to extend program far in advance of I-20 expiration
  • Notify DSO if intending to transfer
  • Keep your passport valid
  • Notify DSO about changes in dependent status
  • You want to enroll in an online course or part-time at another institution

International Student Tuition Payment

Two new features have been added to the international online payment process at Ocean County College that will help many students make payments toward their tuition and fees. These changes will improve the process and allow students to choose the method that works best for them.

  • For bank transfers, students may now use Western Union (instead of direct bank wire transfers).
  • To pay by international credit or debit card or bank transfers, use Pay My Tuition.

To make payments:

Visit, click on Ocean Connect, and Student Finance and then select Making a Payment.

You will be redirected to the Nelnet website, where you can select either of these new options as your payment type. International payments are processed by Western Union GlobalPay and Pay My Tuition for Students in association with Nelnet

Students have 72 hours to complete their transaction to secure the conversion rate given at the time. The payment information will be in their local currency, and they will get price and payment options upfront with a price comparison tool. Both vendors can provide tracking information for students to see the payment process from start to finish.

Students who select to pay via Western Union or Pay My Tuition will receive a letter of authorization and will need to follow up with their bank — within 72 hours — to initiate the wire transfer.

Mail Documents to:

Ocean County College
ATTN: Admissions Office
1 College Drive
PO Box 2001
Toms River, NJ 08754-2001

F1 Visa Info

Visit the US Department of Homeland Security Website, Study In the States. for general information about studying in the United States under a F1 visa.

Text Link